Sunday, March 27, 2011

You can't do that

It's amazing how being told "you can't do that" makes me want to do exactly that.

It takes me back to middle school, when a softball coach told my dad that I would never be good enough to make the all star team. My dad told me what the coach had said, and then asked me if I wanted to prove him wrong. For the next year, I busted my tail and made the "B" team, and the following year, after even more practice, I made the "A" team and ended the season with the highest batting average on the team. Not bad for a girl who's not terribly athletic.

I love a challenge...

Or in high school when my parents said I couldn't date a certain boy. Oh my goodness, how I wanted him after that! (I dated him anyway... but they were right... he was trouble.)

I am stubborn...

And now I'm an adult, and I have a total love-hate relationship with running. Even though I ran a half-marathon in 2008, even though I'm on the board for a major marathon event, even though many people think I'm a runner, I dread it. I haven't wanted to do it for a long time...

Until I was told I couldn't. Two months of being sick and five rounds of antibiotics meant I barely had enough energy to go to work, much less work out. So I gained 10 pounds. And because I couldn't work out (and because none of my pants fit), it made me crave running. I was desperate for it.

So last week I was finally healthy, off antibiotics, and able to run. The weather was gorgeous, and I ran three nights around the lake by my house. I did crunches, and lunges, and push-ups. It was pure bliss.

Who knew it'd take two months of being sick to revive my love of running. I needed to be told "no" to appreciate it. Now I can't wait... I'll be back up there tonight.

No comments: