And stalk the floors looking for marketing collateral so I can gather ideas.
Oh wait, I would never do that.
While we've been so busy waiting, we've kept ourselves occupied with many other worthwhile endeavors.
Like not eating bread or sweets. That takes up a lot of time and mental energy. But I'm proud to report that I've made it six meals without any mishaps, and I haven't killed anybody yet. Or thrown anything. But I will probably dream about cinnamon rolls tonight when I go to bed. Cinnamon rolls and french toast drizzled in syrup and powdered sugar.
Oh my, there I go again.
Last weekend we went to a graduation party for the son of one of our favorite ESL students from West Africa - Togo to be exact. We've known my student's son for a year now and he's an absolute delight - he wants to be a doctor and I am confident that if that's what he chooses to do, he'll be a darn good one.
The highlight of the party, besides seeing his mama all dolled up, was two of his African cousins, ages 4 and 8, dressed in their biggest party dresses, who went up to me all wide-eyed and cute and said, "We love your hair!" in a way only a 4-year-old can do. My heart melted and I've since decided that when we adopt, we may need a little girl from Togo. Heck, I'll take a little girl from just about anywhere, actually. The more people I meet from far off places, the more I just love people.
We also hit up an engagement party for one of our other friends, spent the day at the pool, took our Nigerian friend to a family dinner at Grease Monkey (best burgers in town, I assure you), took an incredibly long Sunday nap, and hosted another family dinner at our house.
Speaking of days at the pool - I broke down and bought a new swimsuit. At the first store I went to, I tried on exactly one suit, loved it, paid for it, and was gone within 10 minutes. I hate shopping for swimsuits (and jeans) so this "rip off the bandaid" approach was the least painful way to do it. I found one that's pink and ruffled and covers up a few of my least favorite places.
I hope I don't have to do that again for another four years, which is how long it's been since I purchased my last one. Or by that time I'll find a body double who can shop for me and save me the mental anguish.
In the meantime, we're all killing time until we can hold that sweet Luke. Say a little prayer for my sister as she lets him cook a little longer. She's going to make a great mama, and I can't wait to train him to call me Aunt B.

No comments:
Post a Comment