How'd you learn?
Quilting was a total impulse decision. It was the Summer of 2008, I had a short break from summer school, all of my friends were busy and I had some unexpected free time. I was grocery shopping at Target and while roaming the aisles looking at all the pretty things (which is why I try to avoid grocery shopping there) I saw the sewing machines and thought "I should learn to quilt!" I bought a little $150 Singer, took it home and tried to read the directions and figure out how to work it on my own. After several hours of mounting frustration, I finally called a girlfriend who came over and showed me how to sew and work my machine in about 30 minutes.
![]() |
| My current project |
![]() |
| Wedding quilt being pieced together |
I read blogs - lot's of blogs. I searched YouTube - (YouTube has GREAT tutorials). And somehow over the past four years, I figured it out. I still have a lot to learn and would love to take a class to polish my skills - but I'm hooked and in love.
![]() |
| Why do I make quilts? Because of pictures like this... (my niece) |
![]() |
| I made this quilt for my sister from upholstery scraps - one of my firsts. |
Since I work full time and tend to juggle a busy schedule, I mostly quilt on the weekends or when Mr. Right is studying. Typically a quilt takes me 2-3 months, probably 30-50 hours of work during that time. I've decided to track my time on my sister's baby quilt to see exactly how long it actually takes. To pass the time, I listen to audio books or set my laptop on a shelf next to my machine and watch TV shows on Hulu. It's a wonderful, calming escape for me. The other night I cut squares and rocked out to worship music.
![]() |
| Working on this quilt for Mr. Right. |
![]() |
| Yo-Yo's (made in my wedding colors - gray and yellow) |
How much does a quilt cost?
My quilts typically cost around $100 for the materials, which is why this would make a terrible side business. To make any money, I'd have to charge back the materials ($100) plus my time (30 hours @ $10 an hour would add another $300... minimum). And since my quilts look nice from a distance but up close have MANY imperfections, I don't think anybody would want to buy one of my quilts for $400. But if you do... CALL ME! (wink wink)
![]() |
| My sewing area & my first venture into applique. |
Blogs. Pinterest. I rarely use patterns, I prefer to make them up as I go. I think it's like Mr. Right, who likes to deconstruct restaurant dishes in his head and then create something similar without a recipe. I've followed patterns, but that seems too restricting to me. I'm more of a free spirit quilter and I enjoy sketching out new ideas and reinventing things I've seen online to better suit my needs.
![]() |
| Wedding Quilt |
![]() |
| My first ever "strip" quilt |
Just dive right in! If you live near me, give me a call and I'd be happy to come over and show you how to use your machine. The easiest way to start is with a "strip" quilt - just sew long strips together so you don't have to worry about lining things up perfectly. They're really fast to do and a lot of fun.
![]() |
| Yo-Yo's |
Do I need a special sewing machine?
Nope. I thought I needed a fancy long-armed machine to do the actual quilting (different from "piecing") but it turns out there's a big secret that all quilters know, but I'm slow so it took me two years to figure out: (said in a whisper) to fit your quilt into that tiny space next between the needle and machine... roll your quilt - don't try to bunch it. With that one tip, you can quilt on anything... whether it's a $150 Singer or my new fancy Ferrari of a Janome.
Happy quilting!











1 comment:
How fun! Thanks for sharing Bethe! I'm inspired. Quilting is definitely on my bucket list ;)
Post a Comment